It's not like talking science is off limits or anything. From my perspective, there are a number of reasons why science doesn't come up at home.
- I do not understand her work. No really - I am serious... It takes a lot of brainpower to get my mind around the cell signaling work Susan does.
- Secretly, I wish I could understand her and my hubris interferes with coming to terms with that. The outcome is that I avoid talking about science.
- We spend >10 hours a day doing science, so we need time off from that.
- Both of us have other interests, and use our time at home to pursue them.
- My subconscious places a priority on applied and translational research (that's what I do) and as a result when I talk, I make Susan's work sound less significant. Or so I am told. Making your wife's work sound less significant is a bad idea, and avoiding science talk is healthy for the relationship.
- Tired... Must sleep... Have nice dreams... Love you... Zzzzzzz... (That is if I don't fall asleep mid sentence.)
- At this point, I am not so keen on science in general. Thus, I avoid talking about it with most people.